Sunday, September 8, 2013

NYFW Spring/Summer 2014 Spotlight: Costello Tagliapietra

As we fashionistas all know we are in the middle of one of the most important weeks ever...Mercedes Benz New York Fashion Week! I always watch the shows of my choice online but this time I have decided to take a different approach.  For everyday of NYFW (September 5-12) I am going to pick a designer that I am not familiar with and feature them here. We all know about BCBG Max Azria, Nicole Miller, Jason Wu and countless others, but a lot of magic happens with the designers and labels that aren't as mainstream. So representing Thursday September 5 shows is Costello Tagliapietra!



I did a little reading up on these guys and it turns out they are a couple living in New York. They both have massive experience and education in the field and have earned many awards to commemorate such, including but not limited to the CFDA/Lexus Hybrid Living award in 2010 and the Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation Award in 2005.  Their most recent collection (C&T) can be found at Barney's and UNIQLO.  I visited my first UNIQLO this summer in NYC and I must admit their line totally fits the atmosphere.




I checked out their NYFW Runway Show on CostelloTagliapietra.com and here are my thoughts.  The models graced the runway will au naturale makeup looks (in a way I am in support of because you know I don't normally appreciate that look) and a simple braid or pixie cut.  They all wore flat goddess sandals, some with an evenly stacked low platform.

This collection is giving me a very Retro (MOD), androgynous feel. The look is perfect for a casual chic PhD student walking the streets of a major US city.  The women who would wear these clothes are educated, confident and have somewhere to go.  She cares about her appearance but at the same time doesn't care what others think of her. She is an on the go risk taker and won't take crap from anyone.



The color story for their spring/summer line, although reminiscent of traditional fall colors is perfect for what seems to be their target market. Blood orange, bright mustard, various shades of blue, and olives are the main hues in this collection with a surprisingly beautiful pop of berry as the finale piece.



 




The contrasting line and cutout placement in various pieces lets me know these guys are very familiar with the female body and know how to create garments to fit and flatter the goddesses of our world!
 


My favorite look of the collection was this two-toned, high waisted skirt. This skirt is such a quietly sexy piece that any women could benefit from.  It can be dressed up or down and worn to a vast array of events.  I would pair it with a patterned silk tank and some sort of brightly colored pumps.



I enjoyed the Costello Tagliapietra show and look forward to seeing more of their work in the future. In the meantime I gotta find that skirt!



No comments:

Post a Comment